Who is the best combat sports athlete of the decade? Can you guess #1?
The decade is nearing its end, and what a decade it’s been for MMA and combat sports! The UFC is not on ESPN, several fighters have reached mainstream success and combat sports are growing in popularity. As these past ten years come to a close, Sportsbible have released a list of who they deem to be the twelve best combat sports athletes of the past decade.
The first MMA fighter on the list is Ronda Rousey, who brought women’s MMA into the spotlight and carried it for several years. While the end to her reign as bantamweight champion was rough for her, she will always be the one who got women into the UFC. For that feat, her many impressive victories and for how she represented MMA in the mainstream media, she lands the #11 spot.
- Jorge Masvidal has mad love for McGregor: “I want to rearrange his face”
- UFC 246: McGregor vs Cerrone ALREADY SOLD OUT – Millions earned
- BREAKING: Henry Cejudo to be stripped of UFC flyweight title – Updated
We also see current double champ Amanda Nunes, who defeated Rousey amongst others, on the #9 spot. Ahead of her we find controversial superstar Conor McGregor, who is in turn beat out by former welterweight and middleweight champ Georges St-Pierre.
Somewhat surprising, undefeated boxing great Floyd Mayweather was listed at #4 behind rival Manny Pacquiao. Current UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones sits at second place while boxer Canelo Alvarez makes the #1 spot.
The full list of the best combat sports athletes of the decade is below, do you agree with the list?
Best combat sports athlete of the decade
12. Wladimir Klitschko (record: 11-2)
11. Ronda Rousey (record: 12-2)
10. Gennady Golovkin (record: 22-1-1)
9. Amanda Nunes (record: 15-3)
8. Conor McGregor (record: 18-3)
7. Georges St-Pierre (record: 7-0)
6. Andre Ward (record: 11-0)
5. Daniel Cormier (record: 21-2 & 1 no contest)
4. Floyd Mayweather (record: 10-0)
3. Manny Pacquiao (record: 12-4)
2. Jon Jones (record: 16-0 & 1 no contest)
1. Canelo Alvarez (record: 23-1-1)